Skip to main content

Sorcery of Thorns By Margaret Rogerson




Sorcery of Thorns By Margaret Rogerson did not disappoint! I give this book a full 5 stars, and I am so thrilled I finally picked it up! This book sat on my TBR shelf for about four months. Y’all, that was five months too long! This standalone fantasy novel is uniquely thrilling, humorous, and inspiring. It’s a must read for all lovers of fantasy! 
Elisabeth was raised in the bowels of the library vowing to protect others from the evil of magic. Nathaniel is a sorcerer and the vilest kind, or at least his cold eyes say as much. When Elisabeth has to depend on the person she has grown up despising, she learns more about herself than she ever thought possible. Elisabeth, Nathaniel, and dear, sweet Silas teach us that the world is not always what we are taught and that people do not have to become what they are labeled.   
This is Rogerson’s sophomore novel, but the first story I have read by her. This world was created with such care and detail it could easily have spanned an entire series; however, she gives the reader a complete and fulfilling tale in a single installment. I'm ashamed to admit I was almost finished with book by time I realized what the meaning of the title, so be on the lookout for that when you start! The ending makes my heart happy, and Rogerson could just as easily stop or continue the story after the epilogue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more from these dear characters. 
I did have a hard time initially getting into the story which is rather unusual for me. Although some exciting events happened in the first third of the book, there was a lot of world and character building that almost fell flat for me. This was completely necessary for the reader to really develop a relationship with the world and characters, and it carried me throughout the rest of the book in a page turning fever. The length and details were both executed nicely, and the book was very well written.
Although I would describe this book as a YA/NA fantasy novel, I believe it would be appealing to readers of all ages and genres! If you love a good story, but hate waiting for the next book in a well written series to come out, this one is perfect for you! Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments as well as any great book recommendations in the comments!

Follow me on Instagram @booksbitsandrlbailey and on Goodreads!

You can purchase your copy through amazon here! PS right now its cheaper to buy a paperback then a kindle copy!

-XOXO Racheal


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mister By: E L James

--> Many of E L James’s 50 Shades of Grey followers are well aware that she just released a new book called The Mister . I, however, had no idea and found it while surfing for a good romance in the Charlotte airport on a long layover that turned into an even longer delay, so I gave it a go. EL James is very well known for her 50 Shades of Grey series and subsequent movies, and I’m willing to bet a vast majority of the Western World has either seen or read at least one of them. I know I picked up the first book out of curiosity and was embarrassed and surprised throughout the entire thing. I continued reading and ended up falling in love with the characters and their personal growths throughout the story as well as breaking the bounds on my comfort zone. By the end of 50 Shades, I felt like the story had everything you could want, but I along with others believe that the first book is rocky at best. The final two (sorry, but I haven’t read the two from Christ

Relatively Normal By Whitney Dineen

--> Relatively Normal was recommended by Amazon as a book that I may be interested in. After having purchased several "recommended" books by Amazon that were total flops, I am a little more resistant to purchase their recommendations. When I saw that Whitney Dineen was an award winning author, I figured I would give this romantic comedy a go. I give this book 3.3 stars rounded down to a 3. I wanted to like this book more than I did.  Cat is a successful party planner who is in a committed relationship and decides to take her betrothed home to meet her family; however, her family isn’t quite “normal.” So… you can see where this story is going. To make matters even worse her high school love who tragically smashed her heart into a million pieces decides to re-enter her life. In the beginning, I had a hard time really connecting with the characters. The story was interesting because I wanted to see what the Masterson family was going to do next. As the stor